An invitation for proposals for community actions that promote social justice and solidarity
ACT Ubumbano invites proposals from community and activist organisations, churches and organisations of faith for support for action that targets injustices faced by their communities.
These actions may be responses to the impact of climate change, or environmental, gender and economic injustice on communities, or they may be campaigns to change particular situations that communities are struggling with.
The action must be implemented and completed by 30 November 2022.
Proposals may be for a maximum of ZAR30,000 (Thirty thousand South African Rands).
Proposals must be completed and submitted online at https://gmsp.smapply.io/prog/ACT_SSF/
The deadline for submission is midday on 23 May 2022. You are encouraged to complete the online application as early as possible.
What will be supported?
There is limited funding available for this call. ACT Ubumbano will consider the following in making allocations:
- The proposed work is led by or directly involves people who are affected by the issue.
- The proposed work targets the root causes or conditions of injustice.
- The proposed work has potential to bring new knowledge that can be shared with others.
- The budget is in proportion to the action that will be undertaken.
- The organisation has demonstrated capability to undertake the action, or has a plan to work with others who have the capability.
Who can apply?
The opportunity is open to any registered non-profit organisation or association that is part of the ACT Ubumbano network, or willing to work with ACT Ubumbano partner organisations in Eswatini, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
Any funding is intended to help with taking action for change or in solidarity with those who are under stress. It is not intended for general or core support for organisations, although some of the funds may be used for organisational costs.
ACT Ubumbano will NOT support any action that undermines the dignity of people and the earth. Actions will not be supported that are:
- Homophobic or discriminatory against people from the LGBTI+ community,
- Sexist and undermining of the dignity of women,
- Xenophobic and discriminatory against foreign nationals,
- Generally harmful to any vulnerable or marginalised group in society, or
- Environmentally destructive and working against efforts to fight climate change.
Who is ACT Ubumbano?
ACT Ubumbano is a resource to organisations working for social justice in different fields. We believe that there is strength in collaboration, and by sharing knowledge and experience – as well as by linking up for joint action where possible – communities can more effectively defend their dignity and bring change.
Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.